Spider-Island by Dan Slott

Originally released in 2011 in the issues of The Amazing Spider-Man #666-673, and spawned spin-offs of other New York heroes like Cloak and Dagger and the Avengers.  The collected edition was released in January 2012, featuring the main run, six back up stories that lead to the events, as well as Venoms three important issues.

Despite the controversy of nearly every thing he accomplished, I have to say, I loved Dan Slotts entire run on Spider-Man.  He has a method of classic comic book storytelling.  Instead of colouring it up with real world problems or attempting mature, modern plots, Mr. Slott has mastered old school comic storylines for a modern generation.  The ideas may come off as over the top, or unrealistic, which is exactly what I mean by classic comics stories, just take a look at any comic book from the 60’s.  It takes a talented writer to write these stories for a modern character and audience.  Everyone may not be a fan of Mr. Slotts works, but should admit he is legitimately talented, and a master of his own style.  There is a reason that they have handed main stay character, Spider-Man, to him for over 5 years.

The story begins with a typical Spider-Man prologue, with Spidey easily defeating Hydro-Man.  The fun and life updates are quickly distinguished with a warning from Madame Web.  Peter Parker is surprised when his girlfriend Carlie Cooper suddenly manifests spider powers, but it is quickly revealed that hundreds of New Yorkers have gained the same abilities.  Peter disguises himself as another random citizen, new to the powers, and rallies the people of New York to defend against those with less noble ideas.  As Peter and Carlie work to find the core of the problem, and other heroes work on cures, the transformation begins to mutate those effected into spider like creatures.

Heroes and citizens unite to defend New York as the villainous Spider-Queen is controlling more of the creatures minds.  It is up to Spider-Man and a spider powered Mary Jane to find a way to cure an entire city of spider citizens.  An unexpected aftermath, causes Spideys secret identity to be less stable.  Effecting Peter instantly as Carlie quickly discovers the truth and breaks things off.

The events of Spider-Island are minute, compared to the things about to shake up Spider-Mans world.  The storyline is simple fun, launched from one creative idea: what if we gave all of New York spider powers?  These ‘what ifs’ are what made Marvel and an industry what it is today.  Its these kinds of reads that make me love comics again, specifically when an event can be introduced and concluded without stringing it along or muddling it up in countless other issues and runs.

Spider-Island is an enjoyable read and I give it a steady 4/5.  A collected book you can pick up and read without the necessity of knowing what happened previously.  It’s an entertaining storyline I would recommend for any comic fan that loves the over the top classics.

Thanks booknerds, I have to go deal with my great responsibilities now.

I know this is a bit irrelevant, but do you have any suggestions on how to start Deadpool? I’ve looked into list and things but different blogs say different things also they’re very long a little confusing.

Honestly, I haven’t read much Deadpool. I really liked Deadpool kills the Marvel Universe, but other than that I cant think of much. I would suggest My Comic Reliefs blog, he is a big Deadpool fan, reading everything old and new. Heres a link to one of his posts: Deadpool and a Most Meta Trilogy – http://wp.me/p7x0bJ-51

2. You’ve put a bit of pressure on me here Green Onion but I shall try to live up to the faith you have in me! Okay, so I started reading Deadpool with Brian Posehn and Gerry Duggan’s run with the Marvel NOW! relaunch in 2012. You can get Volume 1 in two formats (‘Dead Presidents’ which is a smaller trade and six issues or ‘Deadpool Vol. 1’ which is a hardback copy and collects the whole first year). I was given the hardback copy for Christmas, loved it, and wasn’t lost at all. For me, those authors give the funniest Deadpool with a great supporting cast.

I adore Cullen Bunn’s work too (as Mr. Green Onion linked you to!) for amazing depth as well as humor. His fun, new ‘Mercs for Money’ trade paperback comes out the end of August.

Or you can jump into the fantastic new ‘Spider-Man/Deadpool’ series by Joe Kelly. They are about to begin a new arc in the comics and the trade paperback for the first six or so issues comes out in September. I love the book’s fun. It’s

Thank you very much for the information!!

2. My pleasure. I hope you find just the sort of Deadpool you’re looking for!

3. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/mobile/w/deadpool-by-daniel-way-daniel-way/1115088283?ean=9780785185321&st=PLA&sid=BNB_DRS_Core+Shopping+Books_00000000&2sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP714&k_clickid=3×714

If your first real look at Deadpool is the movie I would recommend starting with this one as, to me, it mostly closely resembles the same vein except he still has the multiple voices in his head here. This is the 1 book in a series that is at least 4 books deep in this run.

Thank you! And thank you for the link!

2. I also encourage you to check your library. Most have a ton of graphic novels and most libraries have share programs with other libraries across the country.

That’s a good idea! I think I’ll do that before I decide whether or not I want to start buying the series.

2. YES. I’ve been waiting for you to do a post on something expressly Spidey and you’ve just made my day! BONUS – I’ve never read this story. And, if you’re curious, I will totally be heading to the comic store and/or bookstore this afternoon to pick this up. Thanks for the added excitement to my reading list!!

If you’re getting back into Spidey I would suggest starting off on Brand New Day, thats where Dan Slott took over in 2011 and he builds a whole new Peter Parker culminating in the Superior Spider-Man series. Spider Island is great as a stand alone but I think everything Slott has built is worth the ride.

1. I’ve been very intrigued by Dan Slott’s writing. I’ve seen people who love it and those who hate it. I really appreciated your description – the idea that he can utilize the craziness of the 1960s plot lines in a modern way. That sounds like a merging that warrants some of my attention!

Thanks for the ‘Brand New Day’ suggestion too! Now it looks like I have even more books to look into :).

It’s so true Slott is a love him or hate him kind of writer. My brother is a big fan of Spiderman, collecting the entire ‘Amazing’ series and like you he retired at a certain point. I pushed him and pushed him to read some of Slotts work a few years back, once he gave in he loved it. I think a lot of the debate comes from the big changes Slott makes to Spideys life and world. When you look past the expectations and let the story take you where it will, you can appreciate it more for the great writing and creative ideas. I hope you hop on the Slott train, I would hate for Spidey to dissappoint you.

3. Honestly, I really trust your take. I’ve picked up several comics from your reviews and have yet to be disappointed! S0 I trust you when you say Dan Slott’s a solid writer. Hmm, maybe it’s finally time to jump back into Spidey’s current story…