Green Onion’s Birthday Top 5

Whelp, I am officially another year older, at my age it has lost any special connotation.  I think my kids are more excited because there is a chance of cake today, but they did wake me (early) with a couple beautiful handmade cards.  To keep with my blogging tradition started on Alexandra’s, then Zyler’s birthdays, I get to compose a post on my all time, top 5, favorite books.  A couple of these have been long time meaningful stories, while a couple are new loves that have entered my life in just the last couple years.  It should be interesting to see how, or if, this list changes by this time next year.  Let’s get going, and see what tickles the Onion’s fancyโ€ฆ

5. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

Out of all the books that I have read in my life, I have read The Hobbit more than any other.  The essential fantasy story always fascinated me with its deep history, continuous progression, and the epic-ness  of the world that Mr. Tolkien (I had to look this up, did you know that he was never knighted? shame) built.  The Hobbit sets a standard on what makes fantasy, well- fantasy, and is a perfect example of adventure, all culminating into one of the greatest battles in literature.

4. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

This book is still fresh to me as I just read and reviewed it earlier this year.  I instantly fell in love with the story in the first few pages.  Pure entertainment the whole way through, I savoured every moment.  The ideal execution of the heroes journey, with references of pop culture used in a practical application.  Shivers ran down my spine as Parzival arrived for the final showdown, with imagery of everything nerds of our generation could ask for.  I just hope they nail the movie.

3. Essex County by Jeff Lemire

I share an emotional attachment to this story that I explain in depth in the review I composed a couple months back.  The contemporary graphic novel has a heartfelt storyline with characters that are so true to life that they become real.  For me, this is the definitive example of Canadiana, which was validated when it was selected for Canada Reads: Essential Canadian Novels of the Decade.  My go-to recommendation for anyone that wants to read more graphic novels.  And, the one comic that sits cherished on my book shelf separated from the other funny books.

2. The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson

With two books completed of the planned ten novel series, the Stormlight Archive is already my favorite fantasy genre.  With a prodigious, complex world, that has so many unique elements and a magic system that is so immense and detailed, that the first two massive tomes couldnโ€™t explain it all.  It literally gives me a reason to take care of myself and keep living, because I need to read the rest of the books and discover the answers to all of this worlds mystery.

1. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

A childhood favorite that has held the number one place in my heart for decades.  Wonderland is such a unique world that runs on sheer chaos, making this story so outlandish and intriguing.  I have spent many nights reading through this book trying to weed my way through the confusion, as if there is some great mystery to decipher between the pages.  I love the characters, storyline and world deeply and the more I read, it just gets curiouser and curiouser.

Thanks booknerds, I’d love to hear what your #1’s are, let me know and call it a birthday present.

1. Happy Birthday!๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿป๐Ÿ’๐ŸŽ‚๐Ÿป

2. LizScanlon says:

Happy Birthday! ๐Ÿ™‚

3. A.M.B. says:

Happy Birthday! Great list of favorites. I’m not sure I can pick a favorite book, though Persuasion, To Kill A Mockingbird, and The Spirit Catches You And You Fall Down would be among my favorite books.

Thanks, good picks.

4. Marta says:

Happy birthday! ๐ŸŽ‰๐Ÿฐ

5. Happy birthday and yes!!! The Hobbit is my number one, although I think Alice in Wonderland is a close second for me. Love this list ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for all the birthday wishes!

7. Jason says:

I both Stormlight Archive books (in hardcover), but I haven’t read them yet…..any good?

Sooo good… Very good.

Happy birthday! Great list!!

9. Happy Birthday Green Onion!!! Enjoy your day and all that comes along with it. For me (as you may well guess) my all time favorite book is Paulo Coelho’s ‘The Alchemist.’ Nothing moves me like Coelho’s words. Also, I hope you enjoyed some cake today (for your kids’ sake as much as your own!).

Thanks Michael! It was a good day with some good cake.

10. Jason says:

A belated happy birthday and thanks for sharing your book list. Ready Player One sounds like a fun read. Might get round to that if I ever make any headway with scaling my current book mountain of unread or part-read titles.

Happy Merry Birthday!! Both you and Grandpa Onion have birthdays in September. Does that mean a big family party?

My #1 is Harry Potter. Saying that, these days, has become a cliche but despite its faults, I love the series and characters and love how immersive the world is. It was the sort of fantasy story I was searching for in all the children’s books I’d read before finding it.

Btw, I thought of your blog today as I sat in front my shelves considering what to read after I complete my current batch of books. It’s a toss up between Brandon Sanderson’s The Final Empire and Patrick Rothfuss’s The Name of the Wind. Which one do you suggest?

We actually have one more big september birthday coming next week, so yeah there is a big party to celebrate them all. The kids love this time of year for all the cake!

You just asked me to decide between two very equally awesome fantasy books. What are you doing to me? You have to read both! But depends on your mood, Mistborn is great for straightforward, clear composition which helps with the big world, and magic. While Name of the Wind is more poetic and metaphorical, very rewarding but can be more of a challenge to push through at points. So… I dunno, good luck.
      Thanks for thinking of me, and being an awesome support for my blog.

Lol lol. Tough decision. I guess I’ll read the fist chapter of both and then see which I’m in the mood for.