Top 10 Horror Movie Villains

​It is that time of year again, the annual holiday season of terrifying yourself with the scariest movies you can find.  There is an exhilaration to getting so freaked out by a movie that getting ready for bed is an anxiety inducing experience.  It is debatable what is scarier in a horror film, the demon/ghost haunting, the unbeatable monster/alien, or the little creature/doll with a big bite.  Today I thought we should look at the classic slasher/serial killer style, the man with a dark background that takes out his anger on the nearest teenager available.  The scariest in the sense that there have been people this sick and disturbed in the real world – well some of them…

10. Norman Bates

From Robert Bloch’s disturbing novel, to the hands of horror legend Alfred Hitchcock, Norman Bates, or Psycho, has been disturbing audiences for over five decades.  Showing us that there is nothing scarier than a grown man with mommy issues, Norman opened the door for many of the mentally disturbed characters on this list.

9. Ghostface

Wes Craven’s 90’s pop culture hit featured its own slasher, well slashers, on a killing spree. The hard to see through mask, and oversized cloak may seem impractical but when since he was targeting teenage girls all he needed was the knife.  And, major props for making Matthew Lillard, or Shaggy from the live action Scooby Doo films, creepy as all heck.

8. Jigsaw

With the most symbolic, disturbing death traps, the Jigsaw killer is one of the most messed up minds on the list.  Putting his victims through the torturous scenarios all in attempt to make them appreciate their lives a little more.  The terminally ill cancer patient inspired an entire culture of disturbed serial killers.

7. Doctor Satan

Easily the most creepy looking villain on the list, Dr. Satan utilizes a whole family of deranged killers to collect bodies for his experiments.  Director Rob Zombie easily created an image to disturb for a lifetime, even if you took out the excessive blood and gore.  The most terrible situation to find yourself in any of these horror films would be to wake up on Dr. Satan’s table to be vivisected.

6. Pennywise

The demonic dancing clown that reappears every twenty seven years to torture children.  Created after author Stephen King came to the conclusion that nothing scares children more than clowns, only to prolong that fear for an entire new generation.  Ironically, or intentionally, twenty seven years after the 1990 film, next year Pennywise will make his return.

5. Hannibal Lecter

Thomas Harris truly created a monster when he wrote Hannibal into Red Dragon.  The iconic cannibal has exploded into a book series, movies, and a television show, nothing can stop Hannibal now.  Unlike all of the other villains on this list, Hannibal doesn’t resort to gory, ugly violence, handling his murders with a sense of class, which makes him all that more unsettling.

4. Leatherface

The inbred cannibalistic butcher who may or may not just be a victim of circumstance and family.  Wielding his chainsaw, Leatherface is an iconic image of horror, inspiring seven films.  Depending on which ‘mask’ this killer has on, you may be treated to a nice meal, or you might be on the menu.

3. Michael Myers

John Carpenter’s Halloween, is easily one of the most recognizable slasher films.  The mentally ill child who grew up to be a kitchen knife wielding mass murderer, has cut his way into a whole culture of films, books and even video games.  More importantly, he has become a vision of evil and murder in modern pop culture.

2. Freddy Krueger

Truly the image of nightmares, Freddy has been part of our worst dreams since 1984.  His burnt face, trademark fedora, and clawed glove has made him one of the biggest images in horror film.  Reminding us all never to move onto a street named Elm, becoming one of the greatest villains in all media.

1. Jason Voorhees

The hardest part about creating this list was deciding who would be number one, well after seeing Jason’s kill count it was an easy choice.  The hockey mask wearing, machette wielding monster has murdered over 300 innocents in a dozen films.  Making Friday the 13th films a staple in any horror movie marathons.  One of the biggest villains in pop culture, Jason was even the first fictional character awarded a lifetime achievement award given to him by MTV in 1992.

Thanks booknerds, I think I will go watch My Little Pony with my daughter now.

I’m not a huge horror fan, since I’m a very visual person – Seeing those images hours, even days, after watching the movie. Norman Bates still freaks me out to this day, although Psycho is one of my favorite movies.

I’ve seen all of these villains at least once, but not many repeats. Too many nightmares!

Haha, sorry to mix up bad memories.

2. Marta says:

This reminded me why I don’t watch horror movies 😂😂

3. kristianw84 says:

I am a HUGE horror fan! I get creeped out during the movie, and I love the adrenaline rush, but I’ve never had a movie scare me so badly that it stays with me days later. Awesome list! I think Norman Bates & Freddie Kruger creep me out the most.

Bates is an absolute creeper, Freddy never really got to me like some of the others. The only horror movie to ever truly traumatize me has to be Arachnophobia.

1. kristianw84 says:

Oh yeah! Arachnophobia did get to me…I still check my lights, shower, and popcorn bowls…ha ha! I forgot about that one. I was never really afraid of Freddy, I think he just creeped me out because he liked kids.

Haha, I still hate closing my eyes in the shower, I do it as quickly as possible and check the showerhead right away.

3. kristianw84 says:

Ha ha!! Spiders are so creepy!

I love horror movies! I’ve been watching them since I was a kid, and the ones that always creep me out the most are the ones with psychotic main characters. The fact that it’s a bit realistic just makes it that much more scary. If you like foreign horror films I recommend the Japanese movie called Tetsuo: The Iron Man (nothing to do with Iron-Man). I made the mistake of watching this when I was 12 and it traumatized me for days. To this day, I can’t bring myself to finish this movie. I don’t know even know if it’s supposed to be a horror movie, but it’s the only movie that’s ever seriously freaked me out.

5. Dang it.. you had to through Pennywise and Dr Satan in there haha. So much for sleep tonight. Thanks 😉

It’s okay, I pretty much garunteed myself nightmares by writing this list and searching for images.

6. Hi there! Thanks for the follow! Would The Thing have counted for this list or too sci-fi? Makes me want to puke just thinking about it.

1. I only mention that since it could look like a man.

I love The Thing, but yeah I left it out mostly for the fact that its an alien entity. But you can find The Thing in my list of Top 10 Shapeshifters.

1. As long as there are no pictures, I’ll look. But if so then I may end up with throw up on my screen.

7. Freddy! 🙌 He is my all-time favorite. I love all of your choices. Yes to Hannibal, Michael Myers, Norman Bates… All of them a big yes! Nice list! I love Halloween if you can’t tell. 🙂

8. OMG impossible to choose. They’re all horrific in their own way. Love this post

9. Kalie keeps telling me something to the effect of “There is an exhilaration to getting so freaked out by a movie that getting ready for bed is an anxiety inducing experience” but I’m still skeptical! I see it more as a chore to endure :). However, I have (begrudgingly) come to really enjoy horror myself so I can honestly say I love the list!!

My only addition would be Bughuul, from the ‘Sinister’ films. THAT was the most messed up, horrifying thing I’ve ever seen! Stealing kids’ souls by leading them to brutally murder their families in horrible, horrible fashion? Noooo thank you. Talk about nightmare inducing!!! (And, okay, technically that seems like a cheat as he’s a demon BUT Freddie, Michael Myers, and Pennywise, and supernatural to various degrees so I’m sticking with it.)

Fair enough, also I really wanted to add Deborah Logan. I dont know if Kalie has made you watch The Taking of Deborah Logan, but that is a disturbing villain.

1. Oooo…she hasn’t but you have me intrigued! Would it be good Halloween weekend watching?? I might have to check this out (and get extra credit from Kalie if I willingly find/suggest a great new horror film).

Its a great Halloween horror, Jenn and I watched it a month or so back and it creeped us right out

10. Hey there! That’s a great list. My personal favorite is Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs..just because it seems so true to life.
    If you love all tings pop culture, then you must visit my blog – https://theentertainmentlister.wordpress.com/. Trust me, you will love it!

11. dbmoviesblog says:

I like Freddy at number 2, I would have put it at number 1. He was my childhood nightmare – him and Chucky.

12. Nice choices! It would be interesting to hear what your 10 top horror films are though

Thanks, and good recomendation, one day for certain