Brandon Sanderson and DMG Entertainment Announce ‘Cosmere’ Film Deal

​In one of the largest literary deals of the year, DMG Entertainment has put forth $270 million dollars to back three movies based of Brandon Sanderson’s adult fantasy novels.  Early reports state that Sanderson will deservedly earn a fair chunk of change.  The author is currently on tour in Italy, but has graciously announced the deal through social media.

The Cosmere is the shared universe in which all of Brandon Sanderson’s adult fantasy novels take place.  DMG plans on fast-tracking book one of The Stormlight Archives, The Way of Kings.  Then, following that up with a Mistborn film.  No news yet as to what the third intended film is to be, but they have much cannon to work with.  As fans of the Cosmere are aware of, this is more than a book to movie signing, but a large scale signing on par with the comic book industries current projects.  The author is currently one of literatures top grossing names that yet has not released a movie, and in statements sounds more than excited to work with DMG.

The true news here booknerds, we will see the likes of Kalidan, Kelsier, and Vin on the big screen.  The true depths and scale of this massive project should be unheard of, but they’re doing it.  The world is the true winner here, as one of the most talented creators of our time is about to hit a global market beyond our little book circles.

As for the third movie.  A Warbreaker film would be pretty amazing.  Or any of the interlude stories in Stormlight Archives could host their own film, specifically Lift.  However, I would feel much more comfortable with Way of Kings being devided into two or three films on its own.  Whatever it may be there is one sure thing, it will be epic!

Thanks booknerds, pumped when I heard, had to share.

1. Mei-Mei says:

Ok, I need your expert opinion 🙂 I’ve never read anything by Sanderson, and I really should; where do I start?

Oh geez! You could start with Elantris, which is his first published work and the first of the Cosmere. The Cosmere doesnt have a finite continuation so that is not much of a worry. Mistborn is generally where most people begin, it is a great introduction to Sanderson’s world and style, and does hook you. The Stormlight Archives are his best work so far, but huge and an investment. Book one, Way of Kings sits at 387k words. So knowing if you like his style may be a good idea before you jump into the major epic. Also, there is one graphic novel so far titled, Whitesand, which is a decent book but not much content for it yet… I dunno, I hope that helps, I started with Mistborn and read like 5 Sanderson books back to back.

1. Mei-Mei says:

Yes, that is so helpful! Thank you. ^_^ Can’t wait to find out what all the fuss is about.

I doubt you will be disappointed, absolutely great reading.

2. This is fantastic news! I have yet to read any Sanderson but have heard sooooo much good stuff about his books that they have been top of the list for a while now.

Great stuff, nows a good time to get into it.

1. My thoughts exactly now that I have heard this news!

3. Congratulations! I can only imagine how excited you are with this. Woo hoo!!

It is kind of a big deal, haha.