Must See 2017 Movies

​It seems like every year the movies that come out get bigger and better.  They are no longer afraid to take on any story, instead they aim for the biggest bravest ones.  With the exception of ‘016, every year has been an improvement upon the last.  And well, ‘017 looks outstanding.  With DC’s hard push to create their movie series and Marvel quickly pushing a Spider-Man movie into production, next year is packed full of superhero films.  But, that’s not all, oh no, that’s not all.  Lets have a look shall we…

Trainspotting 2 Jan.27

After over ten years, this brilliant movie is finally getting its sequel.  A great job has been done to bring back the original cast, which gives us many reasons to look forward to this one.

Lego Batman Movie Feb.10

After Will Arnett’s brilliant performance as Batman in The Lego Movie, he has more than earned this spin-off.  With Zach Galifianakis taking on the role of Joker and Michael Cera as Robin, this may go down as one of the best Batman movies ever.

The Great Wall Feb.17

I’m sorry, is this a movie about the Great Wall of China blocking off a giant swarm of zombie-monsters?  What?  Max Brooks, author of World War Z wrote this?  I’m in.

Logan Mar.3

Fox is starting to understand that superhero is not a genre that makes a movie, you need to mix it with another theme.  Hugh Jackman’s last go at Wolverine may be his best yet, especially considering the R rating and rumours of a much more creator controlled film.

Beauty and the Beast Mar.17

Disney takes another run at a live action reimagining with this 1991 classic.  They have been on a roll with these films and with early images bearing close resemblances to the original, this should be the strongest Disney remake yet.

Power Rangers Mar.24

Honestly, I thought that ‘013’s Pacific Rim was supposed to be a Power Rangers reimagining.  Well I guess some big Hollywood producer thought ‘why the hell not’.

Boss Baby Mar.31

The Dreamworks animated film is bound to be hilarious.  The casting of Alec Baldwin as the boss baby is genuinely clever, but, they should have cast my daughter, she’s a natural.

Ghost in the Shell Mar.31

Seriously, what took them so long.  This is a classic manga that deserved a live action remake 20 years ago.  Scarlett Johansson as Motoko looks great, I just hope they do this one right.

Guardians of the Galaxy vol.2 May.5

What do I need to say?  We are all excited for the sequel to one of Marvel Studios greatest movies.  Plus: Baby Groot.

Wonder Woman June.2

The first female lead comic book film, and who better than the amazon power house, Wonder Woman.  Can DC pull together a great movie before Justice League, or is this going to be a crammed mess again?

Captain Underpants June.2

Sorry Wonder Woman, but if these two movies come out on the same weekend, I will take Captain Underpants all day long.  I heard about this movie a long time ago and my son has been harassing me since I told him.  Easily one of his most anticipated films of ‘017.

Cars 3 June.16

Pixar has a big line up of movies coming out in the near future.  Cars 3 is just the kick-off, and one of the most deserving sequels of their collection.

Transformers: The Last Knight June.23

Okay, okay.  The Transformers films have not been that great.  But, I cant help but love seeing these robots in disguise blowing things up on the big screen.  Plus, the poster looks rad, like 80’s rad.

Despicable Me 3 June.30

Kids love minions, fact.  The return of Gru is one thing, but, the villain for this film is none other than Trey Parker.  Sold.

Spider-Man: Homecoming July.7

Its happening, maybe the first great Spider-Man movie.  Sorry, I know lots of people love some of the other Spidey films.  The truth is, they are all terrible and our friendly neighborhood web slinger deserves better.  Thank you Marvel Studios for making this happen.  And, I love the comic titled styled movie posters for all of Marvels newest films.

War for the Planet of the Apes July.14

These new Planet of the Apes movies have been great.  This one looks to step up the game.  The images of Caesar riding a horse with a shotgun really do make me want a monkey-western.

The Dark Tower
July.28

Another film that is long over-due.  I caught up with the first book in this series earlier this year.  It was terrible.  But, I hear great things about the rest of the series, and there were some great scenes that should transfer to big screen easily.

Alien: Covenant
Aug.4

Oh, Aliens.  My favorite movie franchise ever.  That’s right, I am an Aliens over Star Wars, over Marvel, over Batman, over any thing.  Unfortunately, there will be no Ripley, but, a strange addition of James Franco and Danny McBride.  I’m pumped.

IT
Sept.8

Pennywise is coming.  This could easily be one of the creepiest movies of the year.

Blade Runner 2049 Oct.6

The long awaited, long rumoured Blade Runner sequel is finally happening.  And, science fiction fans everywhere could not be any more excited.  Props to Harrison Ford for still rocking classic roles like Han, Indie, and now returning as Rick Deckard.

Untitled Fox/Marvel production
Oct.6

What was supposed to be fan favorite, Gambit’s big screen debut has now been moved.  Yet, Fox is keeping this slot open.  With Deadpool 2 being pushed back as well it is a bit of a mystery what Fox/Marvel movie fits in here.  X-Force, or New Mutants, maybe?

Thor: Ragnarok Nov.3

Thor returns for his third stand alone, and this could be the best yet.  With the addition of Mark Ruffalo’s Hulk and the anticipated return of Loki, this should be a big winner and a major set-up to Avengers 3 and 4.

Justice League Nov.17

For better or for worse, it is happening.  The Justice League will finally unite on the big screen.  I worry that this film is too rushed, and unfortunately, the team looks terrible together.  Fine on their own, terrible together.  But, we will have to wait and see how this comes together.

Star Wars: Episode VIII Dec.15

No big deal.  The return of classic heroes like Luke Skywalker, and R2-D2 with new favorites like Finn, BB-8, and Poe.  Nothing to get too excited about or anything.

Thanks booknerds, ‘017 should be a great year for movie goers.

1. Nancy says:

So many good movies! With Logan and Star Wars being my most anticipated!

The preview for Logan looks so good! And the R rating is a good move. But you obviously need more Captain Underpants in your life Nancy, haha.

1. Nancy says:

I had those books in my house for many years because of my boys, but I believe I will just have to skip the movie!

I cannot wait for so many of these movies! What an awesome list!

3. Irena S. says:

So many interesting movies! I have to admit, I’m especially looking forward to Lego Batman. 😄

Out of all the new releases that is the only one I see that is a guarantee winner

4. masonlou says:

So many good movies to look forward to. I had to watch alien and Aliens in preparation for the new release as my partner wants me to go see it with him.

I love the Aliens franchise I’m hoping this new movie is a return to form after the AvP disasters.

Wow ! I didn’t realise there were so many good movies coming out in 2017 , it’s already looking better than 2016 .

I’m most looking forward to the Dark Tower movies ,I’m in the middle of reading this series and I can’t wait to watch it . Also can’t wait for GITS but deep down I am worried they would screw it up like they did with Dragon ball Evolution

Not gonna lie , I’m not at all looking forward to the Cars movie , the second one was pretty bad

Ghost in the Shell worries me too, they are walking a fine line with that. I need to read more Dark Tower, my gf pushes me to, but that first book was hard to read.

Believe me the first book was garbage , until you read the next book , Heck my blog still has my review of the first book and it’s one of the worst review i have ever given to any books

But believe things get very very good from the 2nd book , and you won’t believe how different it is from the first book

Thats what I keep hearing. Ive been thinking about getting into the second book before the Dark Tower movie comes out.

I’m presently reading the 4th book in the series and i can’t believe how good this series has turned out to be

Thats good to hear, maybe I should move it up on my tbr pile

6. Dean says:

I’m SO EXCITED for 2017 Movies!!!! We are getting SPOILED!!! 😀

I know it is getting ridiculous how many cool movies and concepts are coming out, and it’s just getting better.

7. Kids love minions! I love them 🙂 Haha, I was very excited to see this coming out. I had no idea there was a Trainspotting 2 in the works. Guardians of the Galaxy is a must! Going to be a year of movies for me.

Yea, we all secretly love Minions. Its gonna be a good year for sure. There is something for everyone

8. How about a little warning before a new (super creepy) picture of Pennywise pops up? C’mon…you’re going to give a guy nightmares!

I have a feeling youre skipping that film

1. That will really depend on whether or not Kalie’s super busy with her PhD studies. If she is, I can just lay low and not mention it. If not, then I’ll have to grit my teeth and try to survive a remake shot with the modern horror aesthetic in mind…

I’m looking forward to Trainspotting 2. I missed Renton. I also missed Ewan McGregor, lol. I know they are a packaged deal, so I’m happy to see both! This will be an awesome year for sequels!