January in Pop Culture History

1865 – Premiere of Swan Lake

1929 – First Appearance of Tarzan

1929 – First Appearance of Popeye

1934 – First Appearance of Flash Gordon

1935 – The First Beer in a Can

1936 – First Appearance of Green Hornet

1940 – First Appearance of Flash (Jay Garrick)

1943 – First Appearance of Pepe LePew

1958 – Lego Company patents brick design

1962 – First Appearance of Ant-Man

1966 – Premiere of Batman television series

1973 – Debut of Schoolhouse Rock

1983 – Premiere of Fraggle Rock

1983 – Premiere of The A-Team

1984 – Premiere of Wendy’s “Where’s the beef?” commercial

1990 – Premiere of The Simpsons

1992 – January 20th was a Good Day for rapper Ice Cube

1993 – First Appearance of Bane

2001 – Wikipedia debuted online

2003 – Premiere of Chappelle’s Show

2010 – Unveiling of the iPad

really?! the iPad is only 7 years old?
    Also, last night I watched Victor Frankenstein, cool!

It is crazy how fast the future moves hey. Even my daughter has an iPad now

How do you feel about that? I still feel a little weird seeing elementary school kids with cellphones.

Well both my kids got tablets last year from their grandparents, mostly for skype/facetime. So, its pretty great that they are able to call family that live across the country whenever they feel obliged. I also see them as great learning tools. The future is going to be run by computers and the more they understand now the easier things will be for them. Honestly, my children will understand coding better than me in no time. My son also has a program through school on his tablet that supplies him with eBooks to help him learn to read, which is awesome. They are even allowed to bring their tablets to school. In grade one. When I was in grade one they wouldnt even give me glue cause I liked the smell too much. It is amazing how far things have come. The only problem I see is trying to stay ahead of them. By the time they can get in any trouble on the web im worried they will be way ahead of us and can hide things. Like when I was a teen and my parents had no idea that you could delete browser history.

I guess it really comes down to educating them on the dangers and trying to keep up with new technology.

Yeah, we do a ‘contract’ every year which goes over playing nice, taking care of their computers, but also safety like appropriate sites, and not putting any info or pictures on the internet. I assume when they are teens they arent signing nothing though

That’s a good idea!
        *OMG dad/mom get off my back! Ugh!*

Woah January has a lot of cool stuff going for it , Batman , ant-man , flash , Tarzan . once again WOAHHH !

I was surprised how much happened in what is supposed to be a pretty quiet month too

3. This made for such a great read!