Top 10 Most Disappointing Movies of ‘016

​Unfortunately ‘016 may go down in history as being synonymous with disappointment.  The year in film is not much different.  Other than Disney keeping things alive with the Marvel and Star Wars franchises, the year was full of flops.  Thank goodness for all of the good books out there.  Anyways, let’s take a look at a few of our biggest dissatisfying blockbusters in ‘016…

10. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

What seemed like a perfect opportunity to convince our wives and girlfriends to go to a zombie movie, ended with everyone falling asleep.  This film had the unique pleasure of letting down the hopes of two fan-cultures, zombie enthusiast and Jane Austen fans.  The movie had some highlights but for the most part the boring dialogue and far stretched ideas proved a little too much.

9. Ben Hur

I have an idea.  Let’s take one of the greatest film’s in history.  Pour tonnes of money into effects and visuals and forget about the story entirely.  Unfortunately this was not an original plan and Hollywood will continue to butcher classics.  What’s next Casablanca?  Oh god, I hope they aren’t listening.

8. Ratchet and Clank

Despite the tight budget, this was a rare occurrence where a video game could be adapted into a beloved film.  Especially aimed at children with fun and original characters.  However even my 6-year-old saw the plot as cliché and predictable and he doesn’t even understand those words completely.  You know how I know when a children’s movie is terrible? My kids never want to watch it again.

7. The Legend of Tarzan

This is the first example of Warner Brothers thinking that putting Margot Robbie in a film is enough.  We love her but we do need more substance.  One of the worlds most deeply engrained characters deserves a revisit like this once in awhile, but he also deserves a much better story.  To be fair our expectations were much higher after Aprils successful Jungle Book film.

6. Angry Birds

Money, star power, a massive fan base, Angry Birds had everything it needed for success.  When push came to shove this movie was underwhelming.  All the potential was wasted on a minimalist plot, and mediocre humour.  Plus, changing up the image of the birds seemed to disappoint the young fans of the game and cartoons the most.

5. Independence Day 2

20 years we waited for the aliens to come back for revenge.  20 years a film that redefined a genre waited for its much deserved sequel.  20 years of wondering how much bigger and better they could make this franchise.  What do they give us?  A corny, oversized, steaming pile of-

4. Suicide Squad

The second example of Warner Brothers thinking Margot Robbie will make an instant success.  Nice try, but not enough.  This film looked so great in previews.  Everyone was excited by the great visuals and edgy style.  Then it came out.  You could literally hear the disappointment of millions of movie goers happen simultaneously.  I could go off about what went wrong here.  Oh wait, I did.

3. Alice Through the Looking Glass

Honestly I didn’t even watch this.  I walked out of Alice in Wonderland back in 2010 and never looked back.  That quarter of a movie I saw was enough for me too know this franchise is garbage.  With some of the greatest original content in the world to work with-  no I don’t even want to talk about it.  This movie makes the list simply because I am disappointed they made another.

2. Batman v. Superman

I recently re-watched this film hoping that my original criticisms were due to my deflated expectations.  Nope.  Still terrible.  In fact, I disliked it even more.  There is not one saving grace for this massive waste of time and energy.  So much potential, so many great stories to work with, two iconic characters that have such charisma together.  And they used none of it.  Also, Ben Affleck officially tops my list as the worst Batman ever, congratulations pretty boy Val Kilmer.

1. The US Election

This was one of the years most highly entertaining shows.  Great plot, awesome stakes, twists, turns, and two amazing main characters.  One, a damaged hero that reminded us that everyone has a dark side, we all make mistakes, but our goals can still be pure and honest.  Versus the embodiment of all that is wrong with our world, headed by the best breakout comedian in years.  The election made us laugh and cry at our own realities.  Powerful stuff.  That ending though, ruined all the fun.

Thanks booknerds- wait, what? What do you mean that wasn’t a fictional movie?

Ha! I laughed so hard at #1. You’re clever!

Thanks, its easy when you got material to work with

I liked the Angry Birds movie but maybe because I’m not a huge fan of the franchise. Aww, I like the Alice in Wonderland movie way more than the book. I read it as a kid and found it incredibly boring. Wasn’t a fan of the animated film either. Perhaps I should give the book another try someday. Suicide Squad made me sad.

The Angry Birds movie wasnt terrible but just dissapointing because of expectations. I have a lot of love for the Alice adventures in wonderland book its a favourite, so I can see how opinions would vary. It just offended me

3. Nancy says:

YES to #1! I plan a day of mourning on Friday.

4. #1 was the absolute worst!

Lmao! A couple of these I wanted to see but forgot to. Unfortunately I watched the entire US election and was so disappointed toward the end that I didn’t bother looking at results.
    There was point when I was hoping for a good finale though. My champ was doing pretty good in the debates, but damn! Election day came and it all ended in a big surprise.

6. I agree with you on many of these points with the exception being Batman vs Superman. I enjoyed that film quite a bit.

I hear you, I know that movie has its fans. It has been one of the greatest (non-offensive) debates as of late. Thats honestly one of the reasons I gave it another go. I respect why people would like it, just not for me. High hopes that DC is succesful going forward though

7. I really enjoyed this piece. I agree with you on all the movies on the list I saw. I’m a literature grad student who operates a horror blog, and I was greatly under-whelmed by Pride & Prejudice and Zombies. Suicide Squad was only so so, and Batman Vs. Superman was literally one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen.

I’m glad you agreed with P&P&Z I have not heard many other opinions, for me it fell short on both sides of the coin.

Well I don’t necessarily agree with “Batman v Superman” I did think that Jesse Eisenberg as Lex luthor was horrible and the first half of the movie was real slow but it really picked pace in the 2nd half and the action was amazing .

Also I think Everybody loved Ben Affleck as Batman and c’mon how could George Clooney not be THE worst Batman .

Oh well , To Each his own I guess

Whiny, contrived Bat-fleck? The worst, no thank you. Batman himself was designed quite well, I will give you that. But Affleck tries way too hard and comes out as Affleck dressed as Batman. Eisenberg would be an amazing Riddler.

Harsh , I think he depicted the post Damian Death , post “No-Man Land” era Batman quite well.

agree Eisenberg should have been Riddler ,Heck if he had screwed that up Nobody would have cared either

9. DonSondra says:

The gag at the end made me urinate, just a little. I honestly didn’t hate Suicide Squad but I can see the issues & choose to ignore them.

10. Hi! Please like, share and follow my blog. Thank you! 🙂

11. healed1337 says:

Ben-Hur, along with this year’s Beauty and the Beast, are exactly why movies that were nominated for best picture (In Ben-Hur’s case, it won that and 10 other academy awards), should not be remade.

12. aaronpkahle says:

Suicide Squad was so bad I couldn’t make it past the halfway point. Not sure if they were trying too hard or weren’t trying hard enough.