Must See February ‘017 Movies

​We are now in full swing of the ‘017 film season.  It’s early and we are still waiting for any stand out films but, as we roll into February and spring is on the horizon so to are big name movies.  Slow down, February is another dump month like January, there’s a reason we don’t get films like Guardians of the Galaxy 2 this month.  However, there is a high probability that we may be in for the best DC film of the year.  Let’s get into it shall we, and look at the five movies we’re most excited to see next month…

5. Rings

19 years after the original Japanese film, and 15 years since it’s American adaptation, the hit horror film, The Ring returns for a sequel.  It is hard to remember a plot to the first film, if there was one.  A demon/ghost stuck in a video tape?  The question is, was the long wait for the sequel a hunt for a quality screenplay, or is this a cash grab Independence Day style.

4. The Great Wall

I want to make a joke about Trump, or about the white washing of Hollywood, the fruit is hanging way too low for me.  This film may look like a big budget mess but it has a couple of things going for it.  For one, the concept is pretty solid and had they cast properly we would all be more intrigued.  Second, Max Brooks is one of the collaborative writers and if there is one thing Max Brooks knows its zombies, as the author of World War Z (the book, the movie was not so much his fault) and Zombie Survival Guide.

3. The Space Between Us

The film about the first boy born on Mars and the power of online dating that brings him to Earth.  Or something like that.  The movie features a solid cast, depending on your feelings about Asa Butterfield (not a fan (other than Ender’s Game)) and features the same amazing director talents of 2009’s biggest Oscar snub, The Hannah Montana Movie.  You know what, I dunno about this anymore.  There is a chance.

2.Fist Fight

This just looks too funny.  Reminding me of 1987’s Three O’Clock High film, which I loved.  This movie pits former NWA member Ice Cube against wiry, hilarious, Charlie Day, in a high school clash of the teachers.  The supporting cast rounds out what should be a great comedy with, Tracy Morgan, Christina Hendricks, and Jillian Bell.

1. The Lego Batman Movie

I like Batman.  I like Lego.  I like The Lego Movie.  I like Batman from The Lego Movie.  All signs point to this film being a sure thing.  And, I couldn’t be more excited, you can be sure that the kids and I will be hitting this on the big screen.  For what looks like not only the best DC movie of the year, but also, the best animated movie of the year.  Why are we not talking about Zach Galifianakis playing the Joker?  That is ridiculously awesome casting, and he has a real shot at being one of the best Jokers behind Mark Hamill and Heath Ledger.  Then there is Jenny Slate as Harley Quinn, Billy Dee Williams as Two-Face, Michael Cera as Robin, the list goes on with its brilliance and potential.

Thanks booknerds, happy watching!

1. The Batman Lego movie FTW!

2. Hehe I’m so excited for Lego Batman! Sad it might end up being the best DC movie this year!

Sad. But also awesome at the same time

1. Yeah… I can’t stop laughing about it! WW is going to break my hard if it sucks. But at least there’s always Lego Batman.

High hopes for Wonder Woman too, I hope they turn the whole franchise around really. But there’s always Lego Batman

3. Woohoo Rings!! So excited. Excited for the batman lego movie too. I couldn’t get excited about that Mars romance one.

I’m hoping Rings is pretty good. I am not sure about online Mars dating either

Excited about Lego Batman and Will Arnett is probably the best batman voice after Kevin Conroy .

I can’t believe so much fuss is being made about Hollywood White washing , the movie is being made by Zhang Yimou , he is an Asian , If he doesn’t mind casting Matt Damon vs Monsters , I think people should at least see the movie before crying foul

I think everyone is still upset about The Last Samurai

5. Mei-Mei says:

I forgot the Batman LEGO movie was coming out so soon! Can’t wait!

Dude! I love these roundup posts. Thanks for the reminder on these movies. I can’t believe it’s been 15 years since that Ring movie. High school seems much further away than 15 years ago.
    Lol yea, there’re lots of jokes you could throw at The Great Wall. I really want to see it though. It looks like it promises to be action-packed and I hope the story is strong too. I also wish it wasn’t white washed though.
    And I so want to see that Batman movie! 😀 I actually haven’t yet seen the Lego movie. I’ll fix that this weekend.

15 years! I know! It still feels like it should be early 2000’s sometimes. We sound so old…

7. I have seen The Lego Batman movie and it is great. I am not sure how John Wick 2 did not end up on this list.

It was great. Such a fun movie. I’m gonna say John Wick 2 probably got the snub because of John Wick 1