5 Must See Movies of May ‘017

It’s finally here!  The wait through the early dump months and sub-par films is over.  May is historically a big deal in the movie world.  A few little films you might have heard of had May release dates like, Shrek, Iron Man, Top Gun, the record smashing Avengers, and you know, Star Wars episodes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6.  No big deal.  The other thing exciting about May is it is the roll off into the big summer blockbusters.  Things are about to get good for the next few months.  So without getting too amped up, here’s a look at the five must see films next month-

5. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Alright, I am not a big fan of this franchise but, the numbers don’t lie.  One of the biggest original film series’ in the new millennium is set to make its return after a six year hiatus.  Johnny Depp returns to his role of Captain Jack Sparrow for a fifth go around.  And with the way the film industry has grown since the 2003 original, this has a chance at being one of the best Pirates movies yet.

4. Lowriders

A look at the Lowrider culture of Southern California, this movie will hit on many urban issues.  Featuring some of the coolest cars you’ve seen and a young graffiti artist, this drama should be entertaining, fun, and touching.

3. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword

An all-star cast, plus David Beckham? Bring King Arthur back to the big screen in a massive way.  Based off the legends and the bestseller The Once and Future King.  With a splash of blockbuster this movie is bound to be, at least, entertaining.

2. Alien: Covenant

Oh, I have been waiting for this one.  Not only my personal most anticipated movie of the month but top three for the year.  Discounting those wretched AvP movies it has been ten years since we’ve seen the Xenomorphs in full action.  And with or without my hero Ripley, this will be a return to the classic horror/scifi stylings that has made Alien such a memorable franchise.

1. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

I have said a few times that the new Star Wars films are built for a new, younger generation.  That may be the case, but they might be stomped out.  The massively successful first installment of GotG has been one of the favourite films for the rising generation.  My own young children have watched that film more than Zootopia, Inside Out, or Minions combined.  It is a film they watch anytime, and know through and through.  If Vol. 2 can match the fun and excitement of the first this may grow to be the franchise that defines their childhood.

Thanks booknerds, can’t wait to see some Baby Groot!

Advertisements

1. For Tyeth says:

Hi Green Onion, there may be good news for your kids as Gamora appeared on a UK breakfast TV show a day or so back and she quietly mentioned the words “GotG Vol. 3” . So we should have one more to look forward to.
    Regarding Aliens, I am eager to see this. I am very lucky, back in the 90’s I knew one of the contributors to a book published about the films. As a result I got to “meet” a real Xenomorph or at least one of the maquette/puppets used to film the Stop-Go special effects. It was stunningly beautiful. Hope you and the kids enjoy the shows!

I heard that James Gunn signed on for GotG 3. That is exciting news. As for seeing a live Xenomorph. That be kinda scary but they are so detailed Id love to stare at one for awhile. Real cool. Thanks for sharing

1. For Tyeth says:

Oh I was ok it was a baby one but was still nearly 3 feet long! The amazing thing about it was the paintwork, multiple layers of translucent black and green paint then thin veins painted over that. To finish the whole thing was glazed with layers of lacquer that gave the painted ridges and lines a 3d depth. Awesome.

2. I am personally pretty excited for Guardians of the Galaxy and Pirates of the Caribbean. Both look fun!

I am pretty excited. Its a good month

3. So. Ready. For. Guardians.

4. LizScanlon says:

Same on Guardians of The Galaxy Vol 2…
    I loved the soundtrack in Vol1 so I am hoping it’s the case with Vol 2 as well… and Baby Groot of course!

It’s just gotta be good

5. thefilm.blog says:

Guardians was a lot of fun so that’s a good start!

That’s good to hear. I read your review and many others and they are racking up to be a great reception. Thanks!

6. Man I am tooooooooo much of a wuss to go see the new Alien movie. I’ll watch it eventually but I just can’t handle the suspense in a crowded theater. Buuuut I think I can handle sillier kinds of aliens in Guardians Vol. 2.

Aliens v. Guardians! Epic movie mash up

Pirates of the Caribbean and Aliens for me!
    I want to see Guardians of the Galaxy, but I’m not as enthused about it as everyone. I just want to see Groot.

That doesnt surprise me. I think there’s a mass group that just want to see some baby Groot action!