Chef Green’s Choice Cuts (May 27, ‘017: Deadpool, Space Balls, Dark Crystal, and bad dates)

Chef Green’s Choice Cuts is a little series that I use to talk about all of the great things coming in pop culture that I am excited about.  This Choice Cuts has been in the making for awhile.  As we get into blockbuster season, so to comes the rumour mill in full swing.  In other words, big things are coming.

Deadpool cartoon

It’s official, FXX has ordered ten episodes of a Deadpool animated series.  This may feel like a cash grab, like the Avengers and Guardian’s of the Galaxy cartoons that followed their respected hit movies.  However, two things put this series in a potential winners column.  1) The untitled show is intended for adult audiences, possibly with an R rating.  2) One of the co-creators is Donald Glover.  I like that guy, especially after his role as Purnell in The Martian.  Other than that, he happens to be the next Lando Calrissian.  So there’s that.  Planned for a 2018 release, this is worth getting excited about.

Space Balls 2

These rumours have been circling for a while now.  Since the resurgance of Star Wars popularity, and the success of Disney’s new ventures into the galaxy far, far away, a fresh Space Balls has been on many of our minds.  Recently 90-year-old Mel Brooks admitted that he was in talks for a Space Balls reboot.  I just… I just want this to happen so bad.

Squirrel Girl and the New Warriors series

Of all the potential television series that could come from the house of ideas, I don’t think any of us expected this.  Squirrel Girl, and the New Warriors are teaming up for a new live action TV show.  Squirrel Girl who was treated as mostly a joke for decades has seen a surge in popularity with her latest title.  Not traditionally part of the New Warriors, it makes sense for the young character to join there likes.  Word is still out on who else will be part of the line up, but could, should, include the likes of: Nova, Firestar, Speedball, Darkhawk, Scarlet Spider, and others.

Bad Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 date

If you haven’t had a bad date, you haven’t lived.  I would get into some of my more terrible dating history, but I like to keep things light.  However, one fellow does not agree that bad dates are part of the search for love.  A man from Austin, Texas took his date to  Guardian’s of the Galaxy vol.2 (great movie, but everyone knows you don’t have a first date at a movie) during the film his date repeatedly checked her phone and texted “10 to 20 times”.  Appalled, he requested that she pay him for her ticket.  Of course she denied him, for he did take her out.  But now, he is taking her to court for $17.31.  Good for you man, nobody shoulda been texting during that great film.

New Mutants movie

The X-Men spin-off franchise New Mutants is heading to the big screen.  Starting filming in July, the crew is an a-list of stars aimed at the YA genre.  What could be a knock-off Teen Titans, or a repeat of the Suicide Squad disaster, recent reports say there’s a twist.  Not only will the film be in the YA genre and superhero genre, it will also be a horror.  Now we are talking.

Dark Crystal prequel series

Dark Crystal has always brought mixed feelings for me.  On one hand, the movie was what nightmares were made of for a young Green Chive.  On the other, it’s Jim Henson.  Not any Jim Henson, but Jim Henson’s baby, his self proclaimed magnum opus.  And it is that, the creation of that world is beyond imagination.  I think as an adult I should be able to handle the creepy imagery a little better… I hope, as Netflix has ordered a prequel series.

Thanks booknerds, stay tuned.

Advertisements

1. Olaf Lesniak says:

Please no Dark Crystal. That thing is just so creepy! By the way I am loving this series, make sure to make more of these.

Thanks man, I try to keep it up.

Hmmm… Dark Crystal… I’ve never seen it but I hear it’s complicated and still incomplete.

It’s worth a watch, it will probably be on Netflix soon now. It is complicated, there’s just more going on than you could fit into the film. Same could be said for Labyrinth though.

I loved The Dark Crystal even though I couldn’t follow it as a kid. But messing with it is stupid. Stop trying to bring old things back and start creating new things!! 😑

I agree to that mostly. But, im a sucker for anything Jim Henson. Keep the Muppets alive!

4. Hmm, you know, I disagree. I think a movie is perfect for a first date, as long as you have other stuff planned too. First dates can have awkward chemistry as you don’t really know each other yet so, if you can’t seem to get any conversational traction you can always fall back on, “Hey, how about when [fill in the blank with specific plot point] happened?” or “I thought [fill in the blank] did a really good job with that role.” So movies are classic first date fodder, as long as you’re bookending it with dinner and coffee.

But, more on point, that dude’s a HERO for this! I hate when people text in movies and have actually told total strangers (using my teacher voice) I’d take their phones away from them if they didn’t stop/leave to do that. I also do a version why I ask why they consider themselves so much more important than everyone around them and/or talk about how no one paid $8 to watch them act like an idiot. So kudos to him for striking back at an annoyingly rude society! As a friend of mine who used to work at the movies once said, “No one is so important they can’t go for two hours without looking at their phone. And if you ARE so important that you need to be on your phone constantly, DON’T GO TO THE MOVIES.”

No way. First there is the lack of time to talk and get to know eachother. But more importantly, its what they expect. Everyone does the dinner and a movie date. It’s become cliche. If you wanna impress your date you need to think outside the box, and give them a unique story- in case things get serious. And especially if you’ve been courting for a while, and this date was well earned, you can’t waste that on a movie. Movies have become a fall back, for like a third date and beyond. Unless it’s a drive-in, cause they are awesome.
      Man, I miss the drive-in.
      But, for certain this guy is a hero. Texting is just as bad as seat kicking. Every phone light you see takes you out of the experience. And this lady is obviously a repeat offender. Although, I am concerned that the man will pay more for parking at the court house than the $17 movie ticket was worth.

1. In the article I was reading they talked to the guy about the additional costs of going to court and he said he was cool with it! He said it isn’t really about the cost but the idea of politeness in general. He also said he was worried once the story became news but he’s been pleased with how supportive everyone’s been online. I hope he becomes a sort of folk hero :).

But I’m still saying movies aren’t a “fall back” or can “waste a date.” Movies are magical! Also, you can demonstrate all sorts of academic prowess (should you want to) by deconstructing and analyzing it later. I once really impressing a date by (honestly!) wanting to see ‘Pride & Prejudice’ when we went to the movies. It showed a whole other side of me she wasn’t expecting. However, and this is key, you get extra bonus points in your argument for saying “courting.” I love that word! Ha! Why don’t more people say it?? It’s such a GREAT WORD! Anyway, that totally made my day.

5. My heart near;y exploded with joy when I recently learned about the Dark Crystal prequel! I am a devoted fan ❤

Lol at “a young Green Chive.” My initial response was “Oh, Chive is his actual name.” And then I got it. Lol! (silly me)
    But did that bad date about the dude taking the girl to court really happen? That cracked me up.

Oh that was a for real date. Texting is a serious issue