5 Must See July ‘017 Movies

Nothing beats the summer heat like an air conditioned movie theatre, and a blockbuster film to distract for a couple hours.  017’s lineup is full of movies worth hiding from the sun for.  With a few big name movies coming, can any of them topple the current July opening weekend champion- the final installment of the Harry Potter series.  Let’s have a look at the contenders-

Dunkirk

Director Christopher Nolan is already a champion of July, raking in near a billion dollars with the unforgettable Dark Knight, and its follow up.  Dunkirk takes a different spin from previous Nolan films, taking a look at a WWII evacuation of Allied forces in France, 1940.  Another spin, I am unsure how to handle, would be the debut performance by boy band member Harry Styles.  Either way, this will be worth a watch.

Brigsby Bear

There is simply no way to describe what to expect from this unorthodox looking film.  All I can say is watch the trailer.  Critics are praising this comedy for its originality, and one look at the film can tell you that we have seen nothing like it before.  Featuring one of SNL’s more underrated players Kyle Mooney, plus names like Mark Hamill and Andy Samberg, this film may be the sleeper, cult hit of the summer.  Honestly, I cannot wait to watch it.

War for the Planet of the Apes

When it comes to rebooting a series that a modern generation has all but forgot about, Planet of the Apes sets the bar.  The last couple installments in this franchise can only be described as pure entertainment.  Watching these previews, I think we can expect nothing less.  I am excited to continue on Caesar’s historical journey as this time he faces off against humanities last hope, an army Colonel, played by Woody Harrelson.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

We have been receiving peaks at this obscure comic book adaptation for awhile now, promising something new, and fresh to the SciFi genre.  The style and cinematography look pretty amazing, but reading any synopsis makes it sound like a teen romance- in space.  I don’t think we are going to receive ‘Fifth Element’ originality, but I like to keep my hopes up.  Plus, this movie boasts the first time an original master copy of any Beatles song has been used in film, which is kind of a big deal.

Spider-Man: Homecoming

Here we go!  Our third variation on a live action Spidey in ten years.  Early reviews from last nights premiere are positive- more positive than any other web slinging flick- at 97% on Rotten Tomatoes.  After Tom Holland’s appearance in Captain America 3, I am sold on the kid.  I am also thoroughly enjoying the relationship with Robert Downey Jr./Tony Stark, but I am more excited to see that falling out.  Easily one of my most anticipated films of the year, I am trying to keep expectations close to the ground.

Thanks film-geeks, what are you excited to see this month?

1. Good post. But if you ever want to add an “honorary mention” segment, I’d suggest you add “A Ghost Story” as it’ll be released all over within July.

(London had it’s eye on it earlier this month and was very well received)

I was looking at that one, looks pretty good. It was easily one of my top choices, I opted for Brigsby Bear because it looks so strange

2. You’re totally right about beating the heat! After the school year comes to an end and I hang up the lesson planning for a while my motto is always, “Wait..am I sweating? Well it’s time to take a nap or go to the movies.” You just get me.

Also, I CANNOT WAIT to see how this Spidey movie turns out! You know I love Spider-Man but, if I’m being honest, it will have a decent battle ahead of it to wow me more than ‘Wonder Woman’ and ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2.’ And I’m okay with that :). These are the types of problems I like to have!

Totally between WW, GotG2, and Logan, there is a high bar for comic book films this year. I say if anyone has a chance though, it’s our friendly neighborhood Spider-Man. Plus you through Keaton, and Downy in there- highest poetential. But, again, Im trying to keep expectations reasonable. I mean if it’s Ant-Man quality, I would be happy.

1. How did I forget about ‘Logan’?!? I feel horrible…especially since I am presently back to the mutton chops. Wow. I’m lame.

But you’re right, with the cast and Spider-Man and Spidey coming back to the MCU it has high potential. If nothing else, we can probably rest easy that it’s going to be fun. Marvel Studios is nothing if not fun. However, I’m with on trying to manage my expectations. I don’t want to ruin it by over hyping it in my mind. In fact, I’ve stopped watching any new trailers/TV spots or reading anything about it a few months ago to go in as blind as possible.

3. I’m sold on this iteration of Spidey too- hopefully it’ll be as good as all the critics are saying! And Dunkirk sounds cool!

4. Natasha says:

July has some good ones in store. I am very excited for Dunkirk!

We are getting tickets for next Thursday night to see Spiderman! We’re really excited. I’m also very intrigued by Valerian – It’s been growing on me. I’m looking forward to these!

I have to get on prebuying some tickets this weekend too. Thanks for reminding me. And, Valerian, Im interested to see the first few reviews, it can go anyway

6. Novelladdict says:

I think I am excited for Spiderman since it has my all time favorite Tony Stark😍

Haha, and Michael Keaton. Good cast

Spider-Man is my must see!! i was gonna go today, but wasn’t in the mood so tomorrow it is.

I caught it yesterday, it was amazing!

Good to hear that. I was planning to see it today, but things didn’t go as planned.